3 replies to this topic

#1 ScottSpence

ScottSpence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 01:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have spoke to Paypal technical support about this about 2 weeks ago and they said they would contact me with a solution, but they have not. (perhaps they are busy getting single item multiple currencies to work *grin*).

We went through the permissions, Tech support suggested that I had my transaction file (processed_txns) and .htaccess as 777 (rwxrwxrwx) - I doubt that this is right and have made sure they are 666 (rw-rw-rw-) The following is the email I sent to them, any suggestions appreciated.

I am an experienced web developer and have many scripts working on my site. For some reason there is no error message in my logs and the emails I get do not suggest there is any error. The whole process seems to work but no username/password pairs are entered into the file. I tried making the files (htpasswd and txns) chmod 777 but this did not help - there are no file permission problems that I can see. I get no http errors by running the script from my browser other than the email.

I am using version paypal.pl 1.2 on linux Debian with perl, v5.6.1 built for i386-linux. I seem to have all the modules installed.

Do you have any suggestions?

Cheers

Scott

http://www.crazycolour.com

#2 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 02:49 PM

paypal.pl modifes .htpasswd, not .htaccess. The script is designed to send an email if it is unable to update the .htpasswd or processed_txns files. If you are not getting these emails then it could be:

1) Internal Server Error (is paypal.pl 775? does the script run from the command line without error?)
2) wrong path to sendmail
3) $ADMIN_EMAIL set to wrong email address
4) wrong .htpasswd file is getting modified

.htpasswd and processed_txns should be 664 or 660. You could set them to 666 to see if that's the problem but it's not advised when you're ready to roll out.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

#3 ScottSpence

ScottSpence

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 09:05 AM

Hi Patrick,

> paypal.pl modifes .htpasswd, not .htaccess.

You are right - and I knew this I must have mistyped.

> The script is designed to send an email if it is unable
> to update the .htpasswd or processed_txns files.

This is what I thought and why I was surprised that I was not getting errors sent to me. I get emails saying that I have errors if I call the script without any arguments but none about not being able to write to the appropriate files. I had Paypal tech support look at the script and my settings but they could not see anything wrong.

> If you are not getting these emails then it could be:

> 1) Internal Server Error (is paypal.pl 775? does the
> script run from the command line without error?)

I get only the errors below (which I could expect). Why does the script have to be writable by the group??? I would have thought that 755 at the most...

> 2) wrong path to sendmail

emails work so that can't be it.

> 3) $ADMIN_EMAIL set to wrong email address

Well I get errors sent to me when I run the script on the commandline, and get this error as output to the console:

Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

[Thu Oct 24 17:01:27 2002] paypal.pl: The following error message was generated while trying to acknowledge IPN:
[Thu Oct 24 17:01:27 2002] paypal.pl: Notification could not be acknowledged due to a network or PayPal issue. PayPal will retry until it succeeds.
[Thu Oct 24 17:01:27 2002] paypal.pl:
[Thu Oct 24 17:01:27 2002] paypal.pl:
[Thu Oct 24 17:01:27 2002] paypal.pl: User Information
[Thu Oct 24 17:01:27 2002] paypal.pl: Subscriber's Username:
[Thu Oct 24 17:01:27 2002] paypal.pl: Subscriber's Email:
[Thu Oct 24 17:01:27 2002] paypal.pl: Subscription Number:
[Thu Oct 24 17:01:27 2002] paypal.pl: Transaction Type:
[Thu Oct 24 17:01:27 2002] paypal.pl: main::error_notify('Notification could not be acknowledged due to a network or PayPa...', 'acknowledge IPN', 1, 0) called at ./paypal.pl line 109
[Thu Oct 24 17:01:27 2002] paypal.pl: main::ack_ipn() called at ./paypal.pl line 82
[Thu Oct 24 17:01:27 2002] paypal.pl: main::main() called at ./paypal.pl line 77

the email works no problem:

Subject: Subscription Error - No Action Required

The following error message was generated while trying to acknowledge IPN:
Notification could not be acknowledged due to a network or PayPal issue. PayPal will retry until it succeeds.

User Information
Subscriber's Username:
Subscriber's Email:
Subscription Number:
Transaction Type:

> 4) wrong .htpasswd file is getting modified

But the path is correct, and it refers to the file I want modified.

I'd really like to get this working, apparently there are loads of people using the script - I can not understand that while I have plenty of perl scripts running fine while this one does not.

Cheers

Scott

http://www.crazycolour.com

#4 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 09:37 AM

Oops, my typo. Yes, 755 is correct.

The network issue likely indicates that the PERL module LWP::UserAgent is not installed on your server. LWP is normally pre-installed but not always.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users