• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 shirtswithballs

shirtswithballs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 01:55 PM

I had a potential customer in Norway tell me her Visa debit card was rejected while trying to make payment. She said she had used the same card to make purchases from Amazon.com, among others.

I suggested she make sure she was paying on the Intl. buyer page as well as make sure her debit card had the Visa symbol on it. She did and still the card was rejected. Why?

I am beginning to wonder how many potential sales we lose because of all the hoops Paypal makes people jump through just to make a one-time order. (I know it's a free cart, blah, blah, blah...)

-Phil
www.ShirtsWithBalls.com

#2 deleted user: 240

deleted user: 240

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 06:01 PM

I hear you. I think PayPal should just process our credit card transactions, and leave the member sign-up for another day.

Bryan

#3 ammans

ammans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 08:45 AM

Hi Bryan

I like PayPal a lot, but people from outside the U.S. (most of my clients!) have to much trouble signing-up with PayPal (overlooking that annoying link "Outside the U.S.?")...loosing too much potential clients that way. I think "Anypay" is a better solution in stead of PayPal till PayPal solved that "INTERNATIONAL"-signup problem.
Check ANYPAY >> http://www.anypay.co.../home/index.htm
I think this is what you are looking for: it's also free, secure & it's already in English & German (other languages will follow soon) & there are no annoying links like the "Outside the U.S.?"-PayPal-link that people could overlook...
Please let me know what you think about it?

Best greetings from Belgium,

Dirk (Ammans B&B) http://www.ammans.com

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lunchboxpad
[br]I hear you. I think PayPal should just process our credit card transactions, and leave the member sign-up for another day.

Bryan
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

#4 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 03:02 PM

As shirts reported, the issue is not with signing up, it's that we are more successful processing US credit cards than non-US because the fraud-prevention tools are better for US transactions. We are constantly working to improve both.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

#5 shirtswithballs

shirtswithballs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 07:56 PM

Still, I agree that requiring people to join Paypal simply to make one payment is not necessary. I think that both buyer and seller satisfaction over a longer period of time would make up for the initially "lost" memberships.

Kind of like a trial session: someone over a few months pays several different merchants who have a Paypal cart, and then thinks they'll see what the company's all about. The current proposition--yes, you can pay, but only if you join my ranks! (insert ghoulish laugh here)--is possibly scary and off-putting.

Remember, jump ropes are supposed to be found on the playground and in boxing gyms...not when making online purchases.

-Phil
www.ShirtsWithBalls.com

#6 shareek

shareek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 11:40 AM

I Agree,
I am from Sri lanka, Uptill about an year I was using pay pal then all the problems came up, my account was frozen ( still have $ 500 stuck )

Now I can NOT use pay pal At all , not even to pay a merchant.

I like pay pal but they are TOO big to think of small guys like us.

( sad )
Ahmed shareek

-----------------------

#7 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 01:24 PM

https://www.paypal.c...age=_home&flow=

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

#8 DV8

DV8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 03:26 PM

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by shirtswithballs
[br]I had a potential customer in Norway tell me her Visa debit card was rejected while trying to make payment. She said she had used the same card to make purchases from Amazon.com, among others.

I suggested she make sure she was paying on the Intl. buyer page as well as make sure her debit card had the Visa symbol on it. She did and still the card was rejected. Why?

I am beginning to wonder how many potential sales we lose because of all the hoops Paypal makes people jump through just to make a one-time order. (I know it's a free cart, blah, blah, blah...)

-Phil
www.ShirtsWithBalls.com
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What your client has experienced doesn't surprise me. I lived for 2 years in Scandinavia and half the time my VISA would be rejected, especially merchants using newer terminals. Never had an issue with any other places I visited, including China...

The same, to a lesser extent, applies to Scandinavians visiting North America. I had visitors from Sweden and Denmark, and their cards would get rejected on occasion.

We contacted VISA, and apparently the problem lies with them. This manager told us that Scandinavian cards are handled by local banks whose systems are not completely compatible with the other main networks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users