• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 alano

alano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 12:48 AM

GREAT to see that new international support has crept in to PayPal over the last few days. This has now made PayPal a much more viable proposition to me in the UK.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a big 'splash' about this on the PayPal website - do they not appreciate what a massive landmark this is?! Perhaps I've missed the announcement (I did see a discreet reference to new policies in 'What's New' - but no details). I'm sure this improved functionality will win PayPal many, many more business users. Please boast about it!!!

As far as I can see, the registration process now asks for your country rather than simply asking if US/non-US. Plus, it appears that the $2 verification transaction is no longer used.

QUESTIONS
Is there an application note anywhere explaining the new facilities?

If not, can anyone explain to me how to pre-populate the country-specific registration fields for UK (e.g. Country; UK County; UK Phone Number [what format?], etc.)? Also, how do you pre-populate Email address field (I can see no mention in manuals)?

WELL DONE PayPal - great new facilities. Please boast about it!

Hope someone can help with questions.

Thanks in advance,
Alan

#2 alano

alano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 07:57 AM

OK. I've now answered my own question about pre-population of the new interational registration variables, by trial and error...

To select UK format use:
<input type="hidden" name="lc" value="GB">

The State variable now seems to accept more than 2 digits so can be used for UK County, thus:
<input type="hidden" name="state" value="Wiltshire">

Phone number format seems to use the a and b phone number parts for Country Code and Phone Number, respectively. Also, the b part now accepts spaces. So, the following works:
<input type="hidden" name="day_phone_a" value="44">
<input type="hidden" name="day_phone_b" value="01373 000123">

Email address field is (of course!) obvious (just un-documented):
<input type="hidden" name="email" value="user@adomain.com">

It would be nice to see these new features appear in the manuals somewhere. Perhaps they do - but I can't find them!

As per my original email... PayPal - please announce your new features as loudly as possible - they're a winner!!!

Regards,
Alan

#3 ron

ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 08:32 AM

Alan, you are to be applauded! Thank you!

You provide us with some insight into the new functionality. I wonder what the other country codes are? I guess we might try internationally accepted abbreviations. You gave us a place to start.

Thank you, again. I guess I do not understand why PayPal didn't provide all these details and save us all a great deal of work to figure them out. (personally, I think the manager in charge of releases needs to be promoted to his next higher level of incompetence.)

Ron.

#4 alano

alano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 08:57 AM

Glad to have helped the developer community a little. These are good forums and I want to make sure I give not just take!

It's a shame that PayPal seem oblivious to the importance of the new features to their growth (yes - there IS life outside the US!!! ;-)

Anyway - I'm holding back from criticizing PayPal too harshly because they may have released some new application notes (although I really have searched quite thoroughly now - and can't find anything).

With regard to the new country codes, PayPal have now changed the "Buy Now Buttons" wizard in the "Merchant Tools" section. If you fill out some dummy information with your relevant country and check the HTML that is generated you will find your country code in the line:
<input type="hidden" name="lc" value="@@">
(where @@ will be your Country Code)

Cheers!
Alan

#5 ron

ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 09:15 AM

Alan, Great! But what are the valid codes to put there? That is rhetorical, and I hope PayPal answers it soon. Thank you, again, Sir. You are a gentleman, and a scholar.

Ron.

#6 alano

alano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 09:25 AM

Hi Ron.

If you run the "Buy Now Buttons" wizard in "Merchant Tools", on PayPal's main website, there is a new drop-down box from which you can select the full country name (e.g. "United Kingdom"). The HTML code that is generated by the wizard shows the matching abbreviation that you need to use.

It's a bit long-winded, but it does act as a poor-man's look-up tool until PayPal provide proper documentation!

Alan

#7 ron

ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 09:31 AM

Alan,

You have helped this forum quite a bit. Again, thank you, Sir.

Ron.

#8 PayPalDave

PayPalDave

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 09:58 AM

Ron/alano -

yep, we did add some new international features as of friday!

apologies we haven't gotten the word out as yet. sometimes there's just a lot of new stuff coming out from all the different groups for us to document. we'll be sending out some info in upcoming merchant and developer newsletters, once all the dust settles.

however, yes we *have* made it a little easier for non-US buyers to pay for items. would appreciate any additional feedback you guys have. and we'll be rolling out some more international features in the next 3-6 months too, you just wait :)

(i'm also happy with this feature -- my wife is japanese, and her CD sales to japanese customers are hopefully better now too!)

Dave McClure dmcclure@paypal.com
Director Geek Marketing
PayPal Developer Network (PDN)
http://www.paypal.com/pdn

#9 alano

alano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 10:27 AM

Hi Dave.

Stop that "... made it a little easier..." stuff - you have changed the game altogether BIG TIME!!! Please realise it.

Make sure you "pop the champagne cork" when you announce this to the merchant/developer community. It will be well received.

People in the UK (and rest of World) will now WANT to use PayPal by choice rather by than use it just because it's one of the very few tools available.

As for feedback... EXCELLENT! I haven't yet found a flaw (apart from the lack of documentation ;-)

Best regards,
Alan

#10 jhillman

jhillman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 11:28 AM

That's great news! I'll be updating my site to make use of the new "lc" variable at once!

PayPalDave: Can you also confirm that the verification transaction is no longer used, as Alan suggested at the top of this topic? Does this mean that all credit and debit card users can make payments instantly, without waiting for the verification charges to appear on their statement?

Regards,

Jeremy

#11 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 01:22 PM

The $1.95 credit confirmation process is still in place. We'll continue to make adjustments to it to improve the user experience while balancing risk management.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

#12 nickbos

nickbos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 11:19 AM

Re; Variable passing and pre-population . . .

I have been modifying the PAYPAL payment facility
on my own site and am finding that the telephone
number and email variables are not being processed
by PAYPAL although they are being passed.

Is anyone else suffering this problem, or is it
something that I'm not doing.

Any advice?

Nick Bos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users