Use separate buttons for shipping?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest(old)

Guest(old)

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 10:53 AM

Until I can find someone to do the scripting for variable shipping rates (anybody interested?), I am wondering if this would work:

1) Set shipping on all items to 0
2) Add a Shipping button at top and bottom of product page with three drop down options
- Any # of items in group 1 (free shipping)
- Any # of items in group 2 ($5)
- Any # of items in group 3 ($10)
3) Be very clear that buyers MUST specify shipping and products separately

I know this isn't optimal, but I'm desperate for any option at this point. Can anyone see problems with this other than people just not doing it? Right now shipping is set to one amount for everything, but that is a problem.

Plz don't suggest 3rd party tools - we don't have the budget.

#2 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 11:36 AM

I think you'd be better off figuring out reasonable shipping amounts for each product. Dont' forget that you can use the "shipping2" variable to enable reduced shipping when someone buys multiples of an item.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

#3 Guest(old)

Guest(old)

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 01:08 PM

Yes, I know this isn't a great solution. We don't charge shipping on each item - just on the total shipment, so individual or incremental shipping doesn't apply in this case. If we charged per item, it would be very simple. So this is intended to be a workaround to make separate shipping charges until we can find someone to do the scripting. The only real solution here is scripting and unfortunately that is far beyond me.

So does anyone see any problem with creating a separte PayPal button with drop-down for three different shipping choices? Other than the user just not doing it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users