• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 autoworldmobilia

autoworldmobilia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 02:05 PM

I just read that PayPal opened in the U.K. Is the rest of europe next? Any ideas? I bought www.euroPayPal.com just in case.....

#2 autoworldmobilia

autoworldmobilia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 09:26 AM

Shannon, Anyone can by any domain name they want. I could buy "www.greenpayloads.com, or www.generalmotortown.com for example, and it is completely legal. Also, buying domain names and reselling them, which you call "cybersquatting" is also legal. The domain name "www.euroPayPal.com" could be used in conjunction with PayPal to offer services in Europe that are not currently available, such as a U.S. based eBay escrow overseas shipper for europeans who which to purchase items that sellers restrict to U.S. shipping only and payable 'exclusively' thru "PayPal". This is a "win win" situatation for both PayPal and the owner of the web site. Another use could be to be for a bank in Europe to be the first to insure any of their 'customers' transations thru PayPal. This is what has just happened in the U.K., but PayPal did it independantly. Both of these possibilities are completely independant of PayPal's management, but directly use PayPal as a account, and brings in new members. PayPal would never inhibit anyone who would bring them more business.

#3 autoworldmobilia

autoworldmobilia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 09:41 AM

From the ACPA "If the person or company who registered the domain name had reasonable grounds to believe that the use of the domain name was fair and lawful, they can avoid a court decision that they acted in bad faith. In other words, if the accused cybersquatter can show a judge that he had a reason to register the domain name other than to sell it back to the trademark owner for a profit, then a court will probably allow him to keep the domain name."

#4 autoworldmobilia

autoworldmobilia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 09:57 AM

Shannon,

I understand better what your saying, and realized that I didn't explain that I am selling a conceptual idea as well as domain name. Just as "www.paypaldev.org" is a independant forum for developers, "www.euroPayPal.com" could be an extention or use of a merchant PayPal account to offer new or additional services to the European market.

In my first post I asked, "What do you think?" and you replied with some things that made me realize that I didn't define the possible use of the domain name along with what PayPal would consider "fair use".

I will have to add it. Thanks for clearing this up.

#5 creative1

creative1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 06:53 PM

i think buying that domain can be the most pointless action that could be done

1) it looks like cybersquatting, but you say no... ok
2) half of european countries don't speak english
3) 100% of european countries don't use .com as a page and depends on individual laws
example, spain would be paypal.es, england .uk and so on

as for what benefits would an european achieve from using europaypal.com that couldn't achieve from using the .uk, .es or even paypaldev.org I can't see at all

... and i am european

#6 Manarak

Manarak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 10:24 AM

Well, some corrections can be made to what creative wrote:

1- no comment
2- yes, but neither "euro" or "paypal" are english words. Euro is the european currency, and "paypal" is a Trademark, like "General Electric" which sold under the same Trademark in Europe. If Paypal implements european languages, europaypal.com could become a good domain.
3- wrong! most sites in France and Italy use .com because of unfriendly domain policies. .com is used for many european businesses as well, because using a national tld would identify too much the company with one country, but we have a common market, remember?

#7 ukpal

ukpal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 02:49 PM

Surely if autoworldmobilia isn't a US resident, then he isn't subject to U.S. federal law?

#8 ukpal

ukpal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 03:21 PM

OK - chill, it's not as if autoworldmobilia is trying to make money out of PayPal, in fact, it looks like free promotion !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users