flat rate & override in same basket

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest(old)

Guest(old)

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 01:54 PM

I've setup items for sale that are of various weights and therefore will require two different shipping calculations: flat-rate and override.

Most items are the same weight and can be handled by the flat rate shipping feature. Although it would be much more helpful if I could define my own ranges, this feature is workable.

One of my items is much heavier than the rest. Because of this I'd like to use the override feature. I've defined shipping, shipping2, and shipping_extra hidden fields that handle my shipping needs for this item.

When I stock my cart with just the lighter items or just the heavier items, everthing works great. If I mix the item types, though, then the heavier items' shipping override overrides the normal items' shipping calculations. How can I get around this?

#2 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 12 December 2002 - 01:57 PM

shipping and shipping2 apply to each item.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

#3 Guest(old)

Guest(old)

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 12:44 PM

Patrick,

I'm not clear on your answer. Do you mean that setting the shipping and shipping2 variables in each item's form (as hidden input elements) then forces those values for each item or that each item should be able to have its own shipping calculation? If it's the later, what are the steps? Right now it's not working that way.

thanks,
Matt

#4 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 13 December 2002 - 02:53 PM

You include shipping and shipping2 fields in each "Add to Cart" button.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

#5 Guest(old)

Guest(old)

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 03:15 PM

Patrick,

Okay, after reading both your responses, I've decided you haven't answered my question. I'd like to use the flat rate calculation for every item except for one. For that last item I will use shipping and shipping2 fields. For every other item I'd like to use the flat rate calculation.

Because of how the USPS sets up their priority mail service it makes more sense for us to use a flat rate calculation than add on extra charges per item. One of my items will require an extra charge per item. The others can be worked into your flat rate calculation instead.

Will this work? Right now having both types of items in the same shopping cart causes the checkout to use only the shipping and shipping2 values without including the flat rate calculation as well.

Please let me know if what I want to do will work or not. To remind you, I DON"T WANT TO USE SHIPPING AND SHIPPING2 FOR EACH ITEM IN MY CART.

thanks,
Matt

#6 PayPalStephen

PayPalStephen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 03:27 PM

Currently the feature you are wanting to use is not available. You have to use the Profile based shipping or the Transaction based shipping. The Transaction based shipping will completely over ride the Profile based shipping if the 'shipping' variable is present for any item added to the shopping cart. You may consider using the 'handling' variable for the one item. The only downside with this would be the amount of that item would apply to the shipping and possibly move the purchase to the next level of Profile based shipping. If you add the 'hanlding' variable for the one item, but do not put the entire shipping amount for it, then you would come closer to the true shipping amount for that one item.

The other option would be to use a 3rd party shopping cart that would allow you to do what you want. I have enclosed a link to review 3rd party shopping carts that use PayPal to process the payment.

http://www.paypal.co...ns-cart-outside

Stephen Ivaskevicius
PayPal/eBay, Inc.
www.paypal.com/pdn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users