• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 TreeHugger

TreeHugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 11:11 AM

Can anybody tell me what the response times of paypal IPN are like?

Will my server get the IPN from paypal a couple of seconds after the customer hits submit button at paypal?

I mean, will my server get the IPN before the customer gets back to my website via the 'return' URL variable?

Adam

I want to feel your sweet embrace
But don't take that paper bag off of your face

#2 znaps

znaps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 12:24 PM

I'm not sure that there can be any guarantees, but in my experience, the IPN happens almost instantaneously.

#3 jtheory

jtheory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 12:32 AM

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by znaps
[br]I'm not sure that there can be any guarantees, but in my experience, the IPN happens almost instantaneously.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's been my experience, too. I get emails sent from my IPN code within a few seconds, so the IPN must be significantly quicker than that. I suspect it's more likely that you'll run into problems due to network problems or something on your end than the PayPal side of things.

And don't forget, once they make the payment, they see PayPal's payment success page, THEN they click to your payment success page and read whatever you have written there, THEN they move on to other pages that presumably should show the updates. You normally have a buffer there of at least 10 seconds.

~jtheory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users