4 replies to this topic

#1 amweiss

amweiss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 11:33 AM

Hi,
I need to have more than one piece of information sent back for our subscriptions (the userid and the affiliate). Is this possible since it seems there is only one custom field available.

Thanks,
Allen

Allen Weiss
Publisher
MarketingProfs.com

#2 ron

ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:48 PM

Allen,

Depending on how you initially call PayPal there is at least another "pass-thru" field called "invoice. BUT, you can concatenate fields into these pass-thru variables.

Somewhat hidden from your customer, you can (in an attached JS file) look at what the customer is ordering, and "select" the affiliates you need to pay/notify by concatenating their IDs into the "custom" field before transmission to PayPal.

It actually requires a 3rd party cart of some sort (perhaps of your own design) to do this, because customers may change their order once within the PayPal window without your knowing anything about it.

Now, I'm talking about a client-side solution - server-side, you would transmit data to your server before sending it to PayPal so you could extract the necessary information, and "build" the proper "custom" field (200 characters you can concatenate stuff into).

Your best approach is probably server-side wo you can apply a database against what is happening.

3rd party cart into your own database, calculate who gets what, and send data to PayPal, AND THEN to your affiliates AFTER the PayPal IPN.

That's a few ideas...

Ron.

#3 amweiss

amweiss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 02:31 PM

Hi Ron,
Thanks for your helpful ideas. I'll probably juse use up the invoice field since I don't use that for anything else.

Allen

Allen Weiss
Publisher
MarketingProfs.com

#4 damen

damen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:22 AM

I have similar issue.

Just want to confirm if the "invoice" field needs to be unique in each transaction. I've read that in the Paypal website saying that this is the requirement. Is it a necessary condition?

Hope you can advise.

Rgds

Damen

A Better Job Interview !
http://www.a-better-job-interview.com

#5 ron

ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:58 AM

Well, invoice is designed to be unique (a key back into your database). BUT, the "custom" field does not have that restriction, and is 256 characters long. You can put quite a bit of stuff into 256 chars...

Ron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users