• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 shirtswithballs

shirtswithballs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 05:05 PM

My company sells t-shirts and I would like my shipping charge to reflect the way the USPS functions. For example, to send one shirt Priority would cost $3.85, and sending up to three shirts costs at most $5.75 total (thus reducing per shirt shipping to $1.92).

The Paypal shipping options do not seem to accomodate this sensible plan (unless you only have one design to sell, wherein you may then program reduced shipping per item). If I add the new flat-rate shipping per order, I a) lose money if I sell ten shirts and only charge $4.50 shipping, or B) alienate customers who do not want to pay $7.00 shipping for one shirt. Further, the established Paypal shipping-per-price range is not well thought-out considering that a large portion of online sales falls within the $10-$50 range, yet buyers are forced to pay identical shipping whether getting a small figurine for $11 or an oversized painting for $48 from an art dealer.

The best available option then is the percentage-based shipping calculation, but again, if I charge 20% on a $15.00 shirt and my customer buys three shirts (of different designs, remember), he pays $9.00 shipping on what will cost at most $5.75 USPS Priority. It is absurd and bad for business.

I know that Paypal is bit by bit contouring its capabilities for its millions of members, however I urge expanded flexibility to this seemingly basic function.

(Any Javascript (or HTML) shortcuts to effect my aim in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.)

-Phil Alterman
shirtswithballs.com

#2 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 05:19 PM

With the new cart_handling, I think we should be able to supprot your needs.

You could set "cart_handling" to something like 3.00 and "shipping" for each shirt 0.85

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

#3 shirtswithballs

shirtswithballs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply. I would want the, say, $3.00 'cart_handling' to be a once-per-transaction charge, not once per shirt design. What is the proper way to program this so as not to double-charge my customers?

Thanks,
-Phil

#4 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 06:16 PM

cart_handling only applies once per cart.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

#5 Amateur_Internet_Meddler

Amateur_Internet_Meddler

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 07:18 PM

You just add the variable to each of your buttons. That way no matter which button the customer selects, the cart handling will be applied.

<input type="hidden" name="cart_handling" value="3.00">

http://iva.tech.nu

#6 shirtswithballs

shirtswithballs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 07:53 PM

Thank you, it's almost perfect. The only catch is when I click to purchase more than one of the exact same design and size. Whether the quantity is 1, 5, or 10, the shipping charged reflects as if only 1 were being purchased. I attempted to correct it with <input type="hidden" name="shipping_extra" value="1.00"> but no change occurred.

#7 shirtswithballs

shirtswithballs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 10:46 AM

Final problem solved. Instead of <input type="hidden" name="shipping_extra" value="1.00">, it should read:

input type="hidden" name="shipping2" value="1.00">

-Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users