5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 11:01 PM

Hi,

I have so many different prices for shipping that I added each shipping option as a purchasable item.

Trouble is, PayPal adds California sales tax to the shipping as if it were goods. I am not supposed to charge tax for shipping.

Any ideas?

#2 shirtswithballs

shirtswithballs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 10:44 AM

Are you sure sales tax is added to shipping? When I first set up my site I had the same concern, that users would pay 8.25% on shipping too. But when the first in-state order came I saw that it was not a problem.

However, maybe by programming your shipping directly into the code, rather than into your Paypal profile, this tricks the system into including shipping with item price. Unless there's a glitch, though, I would guess that Paypal has got it right.

Have a local friend do a sample purchase run on a couple of your items to see what shipping/tax costs come up. (It should be doable without actually completing the sale.) You might find that extra tax is not added. Also, if you include some more details of your project here, it might help other posters solve your problem if the tax is too much.

-Phil Alterman
shirtswithballs.com

#3 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Phil,

There is definately tax being incorrectly added to shipping for California users. This is becaues the various shipping choices appear to be the same as the items for sale. That's how I set them up because I couldn't think of a better way.

I can't commiunicate directly with PayPal, unlike a bank or credit card company they don't offer such resources. I'm hoping another user/business owner will come up with a solution.

If anyone would like to look here and offer suggestions I would be very grateful! http://www.coolpiece.com/tapes.htm

#4 shirtswithballs

shirtswithballs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 04:09 PM

Jeffrey,

I checked out your site and better understand your situation. I had not realized at first that you've arranged it so that customers actually "buy" shipping as an item.

To avoid this complication on my site I simply chose one domestic shipping option, USPS 2-3 Priority. If I were to decide I needed more options, such as you do, I might look into those little dropdown boxes, like if you were deciding on CD/tape format or size for a shirt. Again, I even avoided that (with aesthetically more pleasing results, I feel) by creating in Photoshop a different button for each size shirt I offer. See www.shirtswithballs.com for examples.

The international shipping deal is such a complex pain that I am only just this week giving a sensible option to my overseas customers.

Also, it may be for the time being that your CA customers will just have to eat that 8.25% on their shipping costs. Whether to reimburse them through Paypal cash is your choice.

I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable of Paypal and programming will be able to get your site looking just as it needs to be.

Best of luck,
-Phil
www.shirtswithballs.com

#5 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 12:24 AM

There are a few things you can do. You can create different product buttons for the different shipping options (combined with the product, not separate). You can create a "drop-down" with the different shipping amounts. Use a third party cart. Charge tax on shipping (in most states, including CA, it's common).

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

#6 Andrew Chang

Andrew Chang

Average Member

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 03:52 AM

In reply to the person who started this thread You can use a dropdown box with diffrent shipping values and set the values of shipping1 and Shipping2 with it

In reply to PayPal_PB charging Sales tax on shipping is included only if you use your own carrier in most states charging sales tax on shipping for an item shipped USPS or UPS is not acceptable.

example

if you put the item in your car and drive it to the delivery point you may charge sales tax for shipping

If you hand it to the Post man you can not

Andrew Chang
ScorpionSystems.net
Home Shopping Web Design Advertising And Much More.........
For web Design or advertising Contact Sales@scorpionsystems.net
Web Site http://scorpionsystems.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users