• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 DSD_David

DSD_David

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 04:57 PM

Fellow PayPal Users,

What is the point of having a 'we're varified' link on my web-store if people cannot even see it unless they are already PayPal members? I have had three dozen or so orders, and none of them has been varified. What is the point of clicking on the link if all it says is "please log in" when most of my customers don't have accounts?

Thanks for any responses in advance.
-David

#2 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 05:20 PM

It's the PayPal users who will be most familiar with the importance of verification.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

#3 craigc

craigc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 01:04 AM

In that case, what's the point of having the 'verified' link at all??? Users will know if the seller is verified on the payment pages. Therefore if a seller isn't verified then they can cancel at that stage if they choose.

#4 Enid

Enid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 06:54 AM

I could have sworn I wrote somthing in here a few days ago could I have imagined it? Nah I see PayPal dosent take well to criticism and delete any threads that tell customers the truth. Truth is PayPal would like you to think most people shopping with you are "PayPal Users" when in fact they are not. The real answer to Davids question is PayPal wants more signups. They will try to get a signup at every angle possible. as far as paypal being "free" they are not in the long run. Dont get me wrong for the start up business they might come in handy since there are no out of pocket expences. But their rates are higher then a traditional merchant account. The customer loss will be greater since most people will not sign up for a service such as paypal.

But Back to The Question at hand Why must one be "PayPal Verified" to view a merchant rating? Now What kind of an answer is " It's the PayPal users who will be most familiar with the importance of verification" come on. We have more non paypal users then paypal users shopping at our sites therefore when one of them sees this link clicks on it to see what its about .... What do they get a "login screen" why???? If I click a verisign link do I have to log in??? On top of only "PayPal Verified Members" being able to view the rating they also have to be "Members" to count for your rating. In some odd way I view that as discrimination. Well let me not waste my time anymore writing my opinions when they will just be deleted by paypal anyway......

#5 PayPalStephen

PayPalStephen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 08:55 AM

Enid, again I am not sure what you want in your post, but as for PayPal being free, it is for the buyer, as it always has been. As a Seller, we do charge a fee for incoming payments. If you compair PayPal to a Merchant account, we will win everytime. We do not charge you for refunds, history logs, monthly fees, or set up fees. We are great for small and large companies. Please visit the PayPal Shops, and see the companies that are using PayPal.

PayPal wants customers to sign up, it is free to sign up and that is how PayPal stays in business. We provide Free services and charge Premier or Business accounts to receive payments. Simple solution with lots of features. If you would like to change the function of a feature you have the ability to log in to your PayPal account and submit a feature request. PayPal uses customer feedback to enhance or change the features we offer.

Stephen Ivaskevicius
PayPal/eBay, Inc.
www.paypal.com/pdn

#6 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 04:02 PM

The question was "people cannot even see it unless they are already PayPal members" not that they need to be "verified". PayPal users do *not* need to be verified to view merchant reputations. In fact, initially, it was not necessary to log in to view a seller's reputation but this was changed to the current situation for a variety of reasons, none being to arbitrarily increase signups.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.

#7 Enid

Enid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 04:50 PM

What are some of those reasons?

For Help With Site Design at Discounted rates contact Sales@scorpionsystems.net

#8 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 04:56 PM

People writing scripts to capture every merchant's repuation.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.

#9 guillermo6

guillermo6

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 06:01 PM

If you guys think Paypal is more expensive than a merchant account for sellers, you're wrong!

I did a little research and posted my findings here:
http://www.alphabetw...m/ppcompare.asp

A verisign merchant account has a fixed cost of about $1,000 per year. A Paypal Business account costs $0.

The merchant versus paypal comparison starts to even out only if you can get a very good discount rate with your bank and if you have a lot of volume.

But keep in mind that it's not as easy to get a good discount rate for online CC processing as it is for brick & mortar. Even with brick and mortar, most banks (Chase Manhattan) charge 2-3%.

And then there are companys like CCBill. These companies offer subscription type credit card processing just like Paypal but they charge 10% or more as the discount rate (i.e., commission). Maybe CCBill can get away with charging 10% because so many of their customers make money from adult content.

Gui Weinmann
alphabet software
www.alphabetware.com

#10 wiseguy

wiseguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 04:16 AM

guillermo6 is right merchant companies have so many hidden fees there likely to put you out of business. one company in perticular( leasecomm) had hidden fee's, monthly increases, etc... basically all the merchant companies will try and sell you till you sign the contract then your all their's. I am new to pay pal yet from what i have heard,read and talked to with various people its the best way for me to go for business and personal use. the fact that they dont charge a monthly fee alone is worth signing up with them. before you start praising merchant companies do your research, oh yeah verisign the one someone was so proud of well you should see what they did to www.godaddy.com customers.

#11 guillermo6

guillermo6

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 09:50 AM

What did Verisign do to GoDaddy's customers?

Gui Weinmann
alphabet software
www.alphabetware.com

#12 guillermo6

guillermo6

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 07:41 AM

What do ya'll think of Paypal's new policy?

Basically, now you can only use PP to pay for adult content if the transaction is completed on eBay.

http://www.paypal.co...tside&ed=mature

More...
http://www.wired.com...2,58208,00.html

Gui Weinmann
alphabet software
www.alphabetware.com

#13 ebenezer

ebenezer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 08:50 AM

I personally think it's a good policy for PayPal NOT to accept transactions for adult content (unless completed on eBay). They have my support.

My two cents...

#14 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 07:20 PM

To everyone I saw the Verified seller as someone that could be trusted, maybe not but what is the big hangup anyway. If you have a problem with it don't use it on your site. I too checked other systems out and PayPal by far is the best thing going out there.

#15 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 09:52 AM

To be honest, "PayPal Verified" as far a sellers means absolutely nothing.
(No offense to paypal_pb and others from Paypal you guys are only positive contact I've had with Paypal)

Quoted directly from paypal:
What does "Verified" mean?
Becoming Verified means that you maintain a confirmed bank account in your PayPal account. Because banks are required by law to screen account holders, Verification authenticates a member's identity and increases the security of the PayPal network for everyone.

No real added benifit other then saying at the time of signup the person had a bank account. No added insurance to the buyer.
Nowhere does it say that paypal has done anything other then to check a person has an open checking account.

I just recently discovered the palpaldev formums while recently trying to get paypals fraud department to remove a paypal seller who is varified BTW who no longer has active hosting on the Internet (Has a host file listed with his register, but the authorative dns server listed does not have a current record for the domain aka domain is dead). As of yet, I've only recieved autoresponses from the fruad department. And yes the seller is still actively listed on paypal.

A couple of things that seem to make this a low priority issue for Paypal, and unfortuntly may help scam artists take advantage of paypal buyers are:

1)This was an adult site.
We all know paypal will be discontinuing support due to high charge back ratios.
2)Small purchase amount. (in my case $3.95)
3)And this is a big one, No charge backs via paypal unless the transaction involved physical goods.

I'm sorry to the original post for ranting on, but for many of us varified member holds little or no value. From the sellers point of view a varified buyers status is more important.

#16 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 10:35 AM

PayPal considers Verification very important and uses it to raise limits and provide Seller Protection.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.

#17 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 11:04 AM

I agree 100% with you Paypal_pb, It's of great value from the sellers point of view that buyers are varified, what I question is the value from the buyers standpoint that a seller is varified.
Sorry once again if I pulled this topic off its original focus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users