• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 claudeduguay

claudeduguay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:06 AM

I am now befuddled about using PayPAL with a proper certificate store. I have been pounding on this problem for quite some time, reading everything, searching forums, PDF documents, and any reference I could, to no avail. Here is what I hope is a clarifying set of questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Instructions for Java are dismally sketchy and this is probably why Java is the least downloaded development option (as mentioned on this forum). This is a serious problem for PayPAL because this community is under-served. Finding the code sample for JSP is an excersize in frustration and there is no Java link on the main SDK page. Is there more information available somewhere else that would cover certificate stores and what's required for various solutions: IPN, etc.? None of the PDF manuals are clear enough to make this work, so far.

2) I am using IPN at the moment and I cannot find clarification on what's needed certificate-wise. I saw that the JDK 1.4 authority certs (at least Verisign) were outdated and took this as an opportunity to upgrate to JDK 1.5. I am using Tomcat 5.5.9 and a Verisign cert to athenticate the site with SSL (which requires Tomcat to be pointed to a certificate store of it's own).

While this is certainly a Java problem and not a PayPAL problem, the obscurity of solutions and documentation is problemantic. More precicely, what's needed is a good how-to guide on setting up common environments. As such, here are some obvious issues:

a) Does IPN (or other PayPAL options) need the PayPAL certificate or just a suitable Verisign cetificate authority such as that provided with the SDK? I am getting a Site Blocked HTML response when I try to connect for the POST-back (which is really where the problem is for me).

B) If an web environment uses it's own certificate store for SSL (such as Tomcat) does the PayPAL certificate have to go into that same store or is there a better approach?

c) What is a best practice solution for Java POST back (IPN in my case)? Sending a POST with HttpURLConnection is fine and functional enough, but more sophisitcated solutions like HttpClient provide additional flexibility. There should be a simple example (the JSP example is fine, but it does not state anything about prerequsites or highlight potential pitfalls and solutions). A fully self-contained, verifiable, unit-tested sample must be provided to facilitate this process. Integrating in Java seems unnecessarily difficult at the moment and no clear instructions exist on PayPAL's site (including all PDF manuals - I've even read the SOAP SKD manual and it jumps around this issue completely).

IMPORTANT: As long as PayPAL looks at this from the point of view that "not many Java downloads = not worth the effort" rather than "not many Java downloads = opportunity to grow market agressively by serving this community better", I see this as a problem. Like most entrreneurs, I may let PAYPal persue this restrictive view and investigate new solutions from Google or other vendors. I don't mean this as an inflamatroy statement, but it is very frustrating to go though this kind of difficulty with now answers and examples anyhwere to be found.

Once again, please let me thank you for any assistance you can provide. Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated and I am eager to see a thread that focusses on clear solutions that others can benefit from when they run into these problems. I would be happy to post an article on this if enough clarifications results from this dialog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users