3 replies to this topic

#1 notting

notting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:44 AM

Hi,

I am selling tickets for a nightlucb online. The buyer purchases the ticket online and then goes to the club and gives the first four digits of the transaction ID as proof of purchase. I send the list of names of people who have bought tickets along with the transaction IDs to the club who then correlate it with the buyer on the door.

It seems there has been a change in how paypal works, as now the transaction ID that the buyer gets is different to the one that I get!

Also none of my buyers are getting receipt IDs. Why is this?

This is urgent, any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Thanks Jamie

#2 ron

ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:44 AM

I think that it must be unique rather than random (random values of several places can repeat). You might consider a value based on several values - such as the date and time of purchase (from system clock). Without a server it can be rather difficult to generate a totally unique number - but you can do it with date and time, followed by the last name of the individual. That is almost assured to be unique. (It requires a little script.)

Ron.

#3 notting

notting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:01 PM

what about receipt ID. Howdoes this work - im sure a week ago people were getting receipt IDs in their confirmation emails.

Paypal states that this is so that merchants can find customer orders easily - although not all customers seem to get one?

#4 PayPalRB

PayPalRB

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:12 PM

Customers get a Receipt ID when they use the Account Optional checkout. This is because they would not be able to look up a transaction ID if they do not have a PayPal account. The Receipt ID is given to the Account Optional customer and the PayPal merchant so that both have the same number to reference for the transaction.

Perhaps you should ask them to provide their email address as proof instead of the transaction number?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users