password management

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest(old)

Guest(old)

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 12:36 PM

I have several membership sites where I would like to use PayPal as an alternate payment option in conjuction with CCBill, my previous credit card management company. I have installed the paypal.pl script, directing it to the .htpasswd file used by CCBill. When I do a trial sign-up through Paypal, I get a user/password but it is never added to the .htpasswd file and therefore does not work. I am no expert at installing perl scripts but have installed several and have checked the paths, permissions, etc. on this script and have not found any errors. What could be the problem?

Dan

#2 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 12:57 PM

At this point the script may be having an Internal Server Error. Are you able to execute it at the command line (i.e., "home/cgi-bin>> perl paypal.pl")? Does it throw an error or request options?

If it is working properly, then it should send you an email if it is POSTed to but unable to update .htpasswd file.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

#3 Guest(old)

Guest(old)

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 09:06 AM

I am having the exact same problem.

My paypal.pl script will ask for parameters when I run it from the command line. And I do get emails sent to me from paypal notifying me of errors -with all the fields blank
User Information
Subscriber's Username:
Subscriber's Email:
Subscription Number:
Transaction Type:

I am somewhat new to unix but have been programming for a long time. I am sure I am following what directions there are in putting this all together, but as I said - I have the same results as Dan.

So, with my
.htpasswd working manually,
with permissions set to 777 for processed_txns
and 644 for paypal.pl,
and with PAYPAL creating passwords
and paypal.pl sending me error notification emails

With ALL that working - what would stop this process from
A) updating processed_txns
and
B) updating my .htpasswd file?

thanks
Harry

#4 Guest(old)

Guest(old)

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 02:49 PM

I have been receiving notifications of a new subscriber signing up to the site when I do a test sign-up and they say that the money has been put in my account. I also receive (as the subscriber)an email notifying me that I have successfully signed up to the site, my username and instructing me to go to my Paypal account to get mt password. I receive no error email since whenever I try to put an email address in the line for error notification I get a internal error message. Without the error email the script seems to be running fine. What do I check next?

Dan

#5 guestcam

guestcam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 03:28 PM

I got mine to finally work. Although I initially felt silly when I discovered what was wrong, I now feel that paypal can do a way better job of docuementing this procedure. Patrick will certainly be doing less posting if they would update some of these pages on paypal's seller IPN subscrition area.

OK my silly mistake: when turning on IPN in my preferences in my paypal profile, I put the url where the processed_txns was instead of giving it the correct file which is your paypal.pl file!

But the wording of the online instrructions and that IPN preferences page is misleading. JUST ONCE they could have said SCRIPT or "example: http://yourdomain.co...i-bin/paypal.pl"

ALSO NOTE THIS DAN - the paypal.pl script has inside it error code that will purposely print out a "500 internal error"! So the script might actually be running just fine and put that message out there!

RE: " try to put an email address in the line for error notification I get a internal error message"

Dan, is this the same email as what you have for @PAYMENT_EMAILS ? Try cutting and pasting that email address just as you have it for @PAYMENT_EMAILS into $ADMIN_EMAIL.

And dont forget there is the issue that the email has to be the SAME CASE as you have it listed in your paypal account.

Harry

#6 Guest(old)

Guest(old)

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 10:18 PM

Harry,
The path to my paypal.pl script is correct in my paypal ipn preferences. Also I did as you said and pasted the correct email in the my $ADMIN_EMAIL = ''; and I get the error. If I leave it blank I get no error, but nothing gets written to my .htpasswd file or the processed_txns file.

Dan

#7 guestcam

guestcam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 09:51 AM

hmmm $ADMIN_EMAIL left blank and no error. Fill it in and there is an error??

[Well again, I cover my butt by saying I am fairly new to unix and I am just another schmoe on this forum like all the rest of you........but] two things come to mind on that error.

1. is it possible that your path to sendmail is not correct?
2. could you have an apache setup that wants the @ sign replaced with the # sign for emails in strings?? I have seen some scripts have an email entered in as 'popaccount#domain.com'

And then after checking that I'd be sure about permissions on the paypal script (755) and process_tnx file (644)

my 2 cents
harry

Harry

#8 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 11:02 AM

First, as Harry notes, paypal.pl should be 755 and processed_txns should be 660 (safest; or 664 or 666). If the paypal.pl script is being executed but fails, you should receive and emailed error message. If you are not receiving one then:

1) Your SENDMAIL_PATH and/or ADMIN_EMAIL is not correct
2) script is erroring
3) script is not being executed. Make sure you have a Notification URL set up in your Profile.

You might try POSTing this FORM to your script as a test: http://www.paypaldev...sp?TOPIC_ID=189

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.

#9 Guest(old)

Guest(old)

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 09:39 AM

SENDMAIL_PATH is correct because I copied it from a working formmail script
ADMIN_EMAIL I am unable to add, I get an error message whenever I add it.

I am receiving notification emails whenever I sign up, so I assume the script is executing.

I have no idea what this phrase means -
You might try POSTing this FORM to your script as a test: http://www.paypaldev...sp?TOPIC_ID=189

#10 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 11:21 AM

That might indicate that you aren't able to run sendmail. You may leave ADMIN_EMAIL and SENDMAIL_PATH blank which means you will not receive error message emails but the paypal.pl script can work.

The notifications you are receiving are from PayPal, not the paypal.pl script.

I suggested you check out another thread that provides subscription testing tips.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users