• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jason8787

Jason8787

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 12:58 PM

Hi. I have a few questions about the handling of free trials with subscriptions.
1) What's to stop a person from getting multiple free trials, one after the other, canceling each one to avoid payment.

2) Exactly, which variables will paypal send to indicate the beginning of a free trial and the ending of a free trial.

3) Is it possible for someone to cancel a free trial, then sign-up for another before the expiration of the first.

If someone could even point me to a general document regarding free trials, that'd be awesome.

thanks,
Dan

#2 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 01:47 PM

1) Not much. Many merchants implement a low-cost, short trial period for this reason. You can keep track of your subscribers and decline to grant them service if they've previously signed up.

2) We advise activating service based on "subscr_signup" and deactivating based on "subscr_eot" not matter if there is a free trial or not.

3) It's possible. You can prevent it from happening by including "modify=2" in the sign up button.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

#3 Jason8787

Jason8787

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for responding Patrick. My main concern regarding free trials is that I can always verify the price and term. The following questions overlap some:

1)How can I find out exactly which IPN variables are going to be different from when a free trial is first started vs when it actually renews automatically into the monthly membership?

2)How will the txn_type differ?

3)Will IPN still send the monthly subscription variables, period3 and amount3, along with the trial variables, period1 and amount1, so I can verify them before granting a free trial.

4)Will IPN still send the regular monthly subscription variables again once its renewed?

5)"modify=2" sounds like what I need. But I couldn't find any info on this. Could you suggest something?

I've read through the ipn.pdf. I didn't see much info on free trials.

thank you,
Dan

#4 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 05:46 PM

1/2) If there is a free trial, the first IPN you will receive is txn_type=subscr_signup. When the free trial "ends" and the subscriber is successfully billed, you receive the first txn_type=subscr_payment.

3) All variables will be included in that first txn_type=subscr_signup.

4) No.

5) I believe it's described in the Subscriptions manual.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users