Photo

URGENT!!!!! IPN is hitting my page TWICE!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 JoJoH

JoJoH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 04:58 PM

Please help, IPN is hitting my page twice!!! That means if my customer purchased only 1 item, it would seems that he had purchased 2 items because IPN is hitting my page twice! Please help, how could I fix this??? Please Help! URGENT!

#2 jkonicky

jkonicky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 09:29 AM

Check the transaction id number. If the transaction did indeed come in more than once then you can disregard it the second, third... times.

Jeff

jkonicky

#3 DSD_David

DSD_David

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 11:07 AM

It seemz that you are not returning the IPN correctly. It should stop when your server post back to the PayPal server a '200 ok'.

So it seems that your script is not sending back the 200 ok back to PayPal.

-David

#4 JoJoH

JoJoH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 11:08 AM

Thanks all for your answers, but how do a sent Paypal a 200 ok response? Please advice.

Thanks in advance

#5 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 11:22 AM

Normally this is handled automatically by the web server if the script simply processes without erroring.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.
Dev Net: https://www.paypal.com/pdn

#6 cotton9

cotton9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 02:55 PM

I am having the same problem. Checking the txn_id of course compensates for the problem, but why is it happening? Is it possible that paypal resends the notification one time before the server posts back the "200 ok", eventhough it actually received the first notification? It would then update the database twice because the resending interval is shorter than my server's postback lag time.
If this is the case, is there a way to either speed up the server's postback or lengthen the 1 second resend interval?

#7 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 06:31 PM

It's very unlikely. Our system re-posts 10 seconds only after timing out or receiving a 500 Error response from your server.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.

#8 cotton9

cotton9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 11:46 AM

I also noticed that if I include an error in the IPN page, I receive the payment, fix the error, and the record will post correctly in about a minute.
I guess that the now corrected page catches the latest repost from Paypal. But why in this case does it enter the record just once, when it enters it more than once (usually twice) if the IPN script is errorless to begin with?

#9 cotton9

cotton9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 06:05 PM

AH-HA! I finally figured out what the problem was. My IPN page was ok, but the Form page with the "Pay Now" button on it labeled my IPN page as a return URL. Therefore, it was running the IPN once and then going to the return URL to run it again. Such a simple thing.

#10 paypal_pb

paypal_pb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:17 PM

Incidentally, this can be an effective way to test because you can program your IPN script to print error messages to the browser screen.

Patrick Breitenbach
PayPal, Inc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users